Favorite Beef Pot Roast
March 30, 2021 • 0 comments
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 6-8 servings
- (1) Pikes Peak, Arm or Rump Roasts
- (2 tablespoons) Oil
- (1 tablespoon) Worcestershire sauce
- (1 teaspoon) Dried basil, crushed
- (1/2 teaspoon) Salt
- (1 pound) Tiny new potatoes or 4 medium potatoes
- (2) Small onions, cut into wedges
- (1/2 of a small bag) Baby Carrots
- (2 stalks) Celery, bias-sliced into 1" pieces
- (1 cup) Beef Broth (or 1 tsp beef granules mixed with 1 c. hot water)
1/2 cup cold water
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Trim fat from meat. In a 4-6 quart Dutch oven brown meat in hot oil. Drain off fat. Combine broth, Worchestershire sauce, basil, and salt, pour over meat. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- If using new potatoes, peel a strip of skin from the center of each. If using medium potatoes, peel some and quarter. Add potato, carrots, onion, and celery to meat. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer covered, for 45 to 60 minutes more or until meat and veggies are tender, adding water if necessary. Transfer meat and veggies to a platter, reserving juices in Dutch oven. Keep warm.
- For gravy: measure juices; skim fat. If necessary, add enough water to juices to equal 1 1/2 cups. Return to Dutch oven. In a small bowl stir the 1/2 cup cold water into flour until smooth. Stir into juices in pan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. If desired, season with pepper. Serve gravy with meat and vegetables.
Prepare meat as above in a 9x13 pan or oven-going Dutch oven. Combine the broth, Worchestershire sauce, basil, and salt. Pour over meat. Bake covered in a 325 degree F oven for 1 hour. Prepare potatoes as directed. Add veggies to meat in pan. Cover and bake for 45-60 minutes more or until tender. Prepare gravy in a saucepan and serve as above.
Slow Cooker Directions:
Trim fat from meat. Place veggies in a 4 1/2 - qt slow cooker. Cut meat to fit, if necessary; place on top of veggies. Combine the broth, Worcheshire sauce, basil, and salt. Add to cooker Cover and cook on low heat setting for 9-11 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 - 5 hours until tender. Prepare gravy in a medium saucepan on the range top and serve as above.
This recipe is great even without the gravy! The key is cooking the roast until tender and can be cut or shredded with a fork. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from "Beef Pot Roast" in Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook, 14th ed.